Wednesday 16 May 2012

NO–ONE’S LISTENING By Anne MacDonald




When I felt the bullet enter my heart, the pain was curiously minimal. Numbed out, perhaps by natural chemicals, I felt strangely calm.



          All around me, blurred faces came close and withdrew. Seemingly distant voices babbled some nonsense. Eventually the familiar emergency siren sounded, first faintly, then louder – fit to blow me away, until it stopped. I felt my body being lifted; I sensed the motion of the vehicle – saw faces again – eyes fixed on me.



            I try to send details to the local press but I get no response. I see headlines announcing the incident. They’ve got it all wrong – totally wrong. That’s not unusual for them! They still take no notice of me – however hard I try.






No comments:

Post a Comment