Sunday 16 June 2019

Write-In 2019: 'Family Business' by Sarah Mosedale


  • Hello
  • Who?
  • David Jones?
  • Incredible! David, how are you? It’s been decades.
  • I don’t understand.
  • Your mother’s what?
  • I don’t want to be rude, David, and of course I’m sorry for your loss but I don’t really understand why you are calling...
  • Excuse me?
  • My father was what?
  • That’s ridiculous, David. And offensive. You obviously never met my father.
  • No, that’s quite enough. May God forgive you and may I suggest you seek psychiatric help. Goodbye.

-------------------------------
  • Helen, I’ve just had the craziest call. From David Jones of all people. Do you remember him? From primary school.
  • You don’t sound very surprised.
  • What?
  • Am I the last person on earth to know this?
  • Why didn’t anyone tell me?
  • What do you mean it’s what dad wanted?
  • Dad said what?
  • Mum knew!!!
  • Helen, you are tearing my family apart right in front of my eyes…
  • Yes of course I know it’s your family too, don’t be absurd. Maybe there’s something else you’d like to tell me about your family at this point?
  • Are you sure now? Just one fornicating father, is that it? You sure that’s enough good news for me for one day?
  • Don’t you dare lecture me about loving the sinner. You lying hypocrite. You can’t cast those words aside and pick them up again to throw them back in my face. You have no right to those words, not until you accept our Lord as your saviour. Goodbye Helen.

------------------------------

  • Hi sis, she knows...
  • As you’d expect...
  • Angry now but hurting underneath
  • Yeah, we probably did the best we could but maybe we should have pushed mum and dad more
  • Yeah, they were kids really, here we are mopping up again
  • Great, if you can call round today, let me know how it goes
  • Love you too, bye now.



No comments:

Post a Comment