Sunday 7 June 2020

'Daisy Chain' by Tilly Greenland

I thought that we would be together
Forever
I thought our days in the sun
Would last for always
Forever

I thought we would climb the hill
And roll back down
Entwined together
Forever

We were born together
Raised together
Reached womanhood together
I thought those days of joy and laughter
Of love and friendship would last
Forever

Everyone noticed you
But they could not have you
You were mine
Forever

And now,
Now you are leaving
Seeing the world, you said
Finding yourself, you said
Going away

But what about me?
What about us?
Just a distant memory to you
A heart aching of loss, to me

One last climb, I begged
One last tumble, I pleaded
One last daisy chain, I implored
One last time

We climbed the hill
Sat under the oak tree
Picked daisies
Made posies
We lay on our backs and watched the clouds
Held hands and kissed
One last time

Let me brush your hair, I whispered in your ear
One last time
Here, lay your head upon my lap
Golden hair glimmering in the failing light
A ring of daisies at your crown

You closed your eyes
And smiled
You breathed in deeply
And sighed
One last time

As the sun began setting behind the hills
I slowly raised my hand above my head
I brought the stone down upon the daisy chain with such force
A strength I didn’t know I had
You had no time to wake
No time to ask why
No time to beg
No time to say goodbye

I kissed your lips and stole your last breath
I brushed the blonde and red hair away from your face
I placed the reddened daisy chain upon my own head
You threatened to steal my life
So I stole yours

No comments:

Post a Comment