Sunday 7 June 2020

'My Eyes Leak Water' by Lynda McMahon

My sons are growing.  Soon they will take part in the rites of manhood and will be taken away from me. Away from the women and softness. I will lose them to the Hunt. They will forget the ways of women and they will grow hard and strong.

My sons are leaving me tomorrow. By the dying fire I sew their ritual garments. Into them I sew my love, my sorrow, my pride, my hopes and fears. With every stitch I sing songs of magic and protection. This to keep them safe from the bear, this from the hunter’s hand, this from other mens’ magic. I sew their past and their future. My heart runs hard.

The men are come. Wearing their robes with pride, they leave me. The next time I see them they will be men. My heart breaks and my eyes leak water. My sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment