Monday 8 June 2020

'There Was Nothing Dreamlike About This Dream' by Asha Krishna


It was not supposed to turn out like this.

Two guards were now standing in front of me.

“I am afraid you cannot travel madam,” said the man at the check-in desk handing back a passport not my own.

I shift from one foot to another, fanning myself with the booklet, as the bags inch forward.

A tingling feeling runs through me as I get to the tail end of drop off.

I move towards the board, my eyes scanning the exotic destinations before resting on mine.

We scramble to reclaim our possessions and get off the floor.

“Sorry!” bags and purses collide as contents spill out along with apologetic smiles all round.

Getting out of the cab, I sashay into the enclosed area, my suitcase trailing behind in compliance.

I was dreaming away when the jerk of sudden brakes brought the Departures into view.

The cab ride was smooth, my head buzzing with numerous possibilities.

I was meant to be flying alone for the first time.





No comments:

Post a Comment