Wednesday 16 May 2012

No-One's Listening by Anne MacDonald

When I felt the bullet enter my heart, the pain was curiously minimal. Numbed out, perhaps by natural chemicals, I felt strangely calm.

    All around me, blurred faces came close and withdrew. Distant voices babbled a nonsense of their own. Eventually the familiar siren could be heard, first faintly then ever louder - fit to blow my eardrums away. Suddenly - it stopped. I felt my body being lifted; I sensed the motion of the vehicle - saw faces again - eyes fixed on me.

    I keep sending details to the local press but I get no response. I see headlines announcing the incident. They've got it all wrong. - totally wrong. But that's not unusual for them! And they still take no notice of me - however hard I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment