Sunday 25 June 2023

'Crosstown Traffic' by Allison Renner

The light was yellow but he was already in the solid lines; he knew he could make it. He pressed the gas pedal a little harder, just enough to send him through the intersection without getting flagged for going ten over the limit.

She slowed down as she approached the intersection. It seemed like the first time she’d ever been in the right lane, needing to make a turn, without someone stopped at the light in front of her. She eased off the brake, scanned the intersection, and started turning the wheel, feeling almost giddy at her chance.

I usually take Sandwich for a shorter walk but the breeze felt amazing to both of us so instead of heading home, I turned left toward downtown. My hair blew in the wind and his tongue hung from his mouth as if tasting the freshness. I kept his leash wrapped thrice around my hand since we were nearing the corner of a busy intersection, but a squirrel darted past just as I looked up at the clear blue sky and Sandwich took off, throwing me off balance and sending me falling forward into the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment