Sunday 25 June 2023

'Should I have known' by Melissa Anderson

That we would start out joking publicly about grilled cheese sandwich competitions and music albums, and then the first time he slipped into my DMs, he would say something completely inappropriate about liking the taste of his sexual partner’s sweat and I  wouldn’t really know how to respond to that so I would make a joke about pheromones and then he would tell me this sob story about being alone and being in pain and I’d try to cheer him up even though it wasn’t my job because I’ve always had a thing about trying to fix people, probably because I hide all my broken pieces, and then I would try to find out something true about him and instead of telling me his real name he would tell me about a nickname he got in college and he wouldn’t know that I’d already figured out his real name and read some of his old pieces in the NYT and determined that I was a better writer than him and when I tried to turn our private conversations to writing he would always turn it into some sexual innuendo and then I would get something published that had one racy scene in it and he would ask me about what happened next for the character and when I wouldn’t entertain it, he would get mad and stop talking to me for days and then he would come back and tell me he liked my new profile picture and pay me some compliment and I would ask him if he liked me and he would say yes and then he would drop out of my feed for a week and I would think he was really sick and then I’d realize, no, he had just blocked me?

No comments:

Post a Comment