Sunday 25 June 2023

'We' by Catherine O'Brien

We needed reservoirs to hold our collective smirks. I suggested a local café. Everyone has their own experience of your voice but I will always contend that anger distorts, dilutes even dare I say weakens it. It serves to belie the true texture of its sound. I’m stalling and you think it’s because I’m nervous. You’re correct. 

You are looking at me. As usual, you’re my guide – I can do this because you’re actually by my side. Nothing cascades faster than time. Perhaps you are ten and your father is asking you how far a smile can travel. He has presented you with riddles before. You are careful but no one thinks quite like him. Who else thinks about the jigsaw not its pieces needing to find its place? I know you will never love anyone as much as him. He showed you simple truths like the moon playing hopscotch across the sky. 

The air smelled sweet on my way here. As usual, you arrived late and swivelled your chair to meet mine at an angle instead of curating an excuse. I adore those tiny details about you and the things you say like ‘on a podium water is no longer just water, it’s talking juice’ or that time you told me ‘pollen is a sternutatory substance’.  

I haven’t heard from my family in so long, I’ve given up snapping branches off their tree. 

“Is Sir waiting for another or is Sir ready to order?”

The waitress doesn’t look and I don’t know if she would care to see but my eyes extend to the deepest ocean in search of you. I don’t tell her I’m being brave coming here alone even though my heart has forgotten how to dance. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment