Sunday 7 June 2020

'Mirror-Surface' by Tilly Greenland

Look

Look there

Do you see?

Do you see her?

There, trapped within the water

Caught in the shimmering mirror-surface

Someone that looks like me; but isn’t

Her eyes are black sockets; she can’t see

Her voice doesn’t carry when she tries to speak

You can see she cries too, but you cannot hear

Her form wavers, dissipates when I reach out to touch her

She looks so sad and lonely, trapped alone in the mirror-surface

She makes my heart ache, my stomach knot, my tears burn my cheeks

I wish I could reach her, comfort her, hold her, tell her it’s OK

But that would be a lie, so I turn away, and I leave her, alone

Trapped in the water’s mirror-surface, she will be there when I return, always the same


No comments:

Post a Comment