Sunday 7 June 2020

'The Hat' by Jo Putt

“Your hats are my one true vice,” said the figure, striking an absurd pose of self-admiration before the mirror. “And this one must be shared,” he added, promptly reaching for his phone.

“I am afraid not,” said Novak. “Sir must be familiar with our rules: no photography by customers is permitted; the secrets of my designs are simply too precious.”

“But, ‘Mr. Milliner’, my friend, I am almost certain to buy it and then your ‘secrets’ will go to all the most fashionable places in this city. Everyone will be as enchanted as I am and come to you for hats of their own,” he said, running his grubby fingers over it.

“For the last time, sir, Safety Supplies does not allow photography,” said Novak, snatching the yellow hat from his customer. “Now, get out!”

“Just one tiny photograph…,” wheedled the man, his hands as if in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment