Monday 8 June 2020

'What was the last thing you remember before waking up here?' by Tilly Greenland

Running through the meadows, feeling the flowers and grasses rush through my hands.  Perhaps that’s what I remember?

Floating sticks and leaves down the stream, seeing who reaches the bridge first.  Perhaps that’s what I remember?

Walking along the beach, wind in my hair, salt spray lashing at my face.  Probably collecting sea shells.  Perhaps that’s what I remember?

Eating chocolate cake, my favourite flavour.  Perhaps that’s what I remember?

Sitting at my table making jewellery, or sewing something, or making resin shakers.  Perhaps that’s what I remember?

Watching Netflix, curled up on my sofa, just me and the cat.  Perhaps that’s what I remember?

Going to meet my friends at the pub, before heading into town.  Perhaps that’s what I remember?

Getting a little drunk, unsteady on my feet.  Perhaps that’s what I remember?

Walking along the pavement, bright lights, loud noises.  Perhaps that’s what I remember?

A shout, a beep, a screech.  Perhaps that’s what I remember?

Flying through the air.  Bouncing off the roof.  Splayed out upon the floor.  Perhaps that’s what I remember?

Crowds gathered round, people crying and holding each other.  Perhaps that’s what I remember?

Yes, wait, I do remember.

What was the last thing I remember before waking up here?

Dying.  That’s what I remember.


1 comment:

  1. I wondered where this was heading - didn't see that coming! Love the pace of this.

    ReplyDelete