Sunday 7 June 2020

'Pizza Express' by C.S. Bowerman

Did I knock loud enough?  Who knows?  Maybe I should try again?  Or will that annoy them?  Or annoy them more?  Or maybe it wouldn't annoy anyone because they didn't hear me to begin with and they are waiting for me to knock?  Is there a right way to knock?  Is it only a knock if you use your knuckles?  What if you use the flat of your hand?  Is that a slap?  Or what if you use the door knocker?  Is that what that means?  Use the door knocker not your hand?  But wouldn't they have said that if that's what they meant?  Do they want me to stand here all night?  Do they think I have nowhere else to go?  That I can spend my evening on their non-descript doorstep wondering if they have heard me knock?  Actually do you think that IS what they want me to do?  To stand here in total indecision and time how long I'll wait?  What kind of person would do that?  Leave a misleading sign on their door to see who would fall for it?  Surely that is a cruel person?  An unkind person?  Maybe a dangerous person?  Could they be looking through the window sizing me up?  Am I the person they were looking for?  Am I the victim they are looking for?  Do I look easy to over-power?  Easy to talk into the house?  Easy to sell a sob story to?  Perhaps I should walk away now?  Isn’t waiting five minutes enough?  But will I lose my job if I don’t deliver this pizza?  Where will I get another job?   How will I pay my rent?  Hang on, is this number 10?  Is that a six or a zero?  Is this the wrong house?  Oh, hello – pizza?

No comments:

Post a Comment