Sunday 27 June 2021

'Cresting on the edge of slumber I hear the call of my once name...' by G K Wood

 

The people cried for my protection when my ancestors, lost in the murk of yesteryear, prowled the banks of the great river, the deep azure waters where crocodiles lurked. Rolling golden dunes held no sway for such as me, the home of the hidden asp, that deadly harbinger of misfortune. I stalked the wild ways, the sacred forests of ished and learned of eternal life and destiny from its fruit.

 

Where my paws fell, the scorpion fled, the hawk and vulture spurned their feast for I guarded the gates to the kingdom and the world. The mighty sun god treasured me, his overseer, golden-eyed and fierce as storms. Come into the safety I offer for I breath joy into your souls and fear into the hidden things. That sound in the night?A creak of the stairs when the house lies quiet, or the wind brushes soft against straining locks, the rustle of something dark that scuttles. Each nook and cranny, the places where the imps and pixies plan their mischief, they bid me welcome.

 

And they grovelled before me. Wreaths, festooned with honeyed  blooms, jasmine, papyrus and blue lily, lay at my perfect feet. Offerings, those luscious sweetmeats of seared fish and goat, exquisitely spiced, laid in silver bowls lined with lapis, were bestowed to entice me from my fast. From my pelt-lined throne, regal as a tiger, I surveyed everything through slitted eyes. Disdain ran through me for the pitiful creatures whispering praises in my name.

 

Mafdet. My archaic epithet. Forgotten.

 

I am cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment