Sunday 19 June 2022

'Twirly' by Lynda McMahon

I’ve got my bus pass. I can go anywhere I like so I catch the No.11 to Coventry. It goes the long

way round. I don’t mind. I’ve got all day. The X17 gets you there more quickly but I catch the 11.

For fifty minutes I’m going somewhere. To a destination where anything might happen.


The bus driver barely looks at me. It’s all ‘tap it and cap it’ since Covid. Progress. I try a cheery

“Hello!” Pointless but I have a go anyway. Nobody sits next to me. Why would they? The bus is

nearly empty. I’m not bothered. I don’t need to chat.


I love it when the students get on at the University. They’re going places they are. So young. So

hopeful. I like watching them. They don’t notice me of course.


I get off the bus at my usual stop. Sometimes I treat myself to a cup of tea. There’s a very nice café in the precinct. Quiet. I can watch people pass if I get a window seat. But not today. Next time perhaps. Today I cross the road and wait for the No. 11 back. It goes the long way round. I don’t mind. I’ve got all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment