Sunday 19 June 2022

'Greener Grass' by Lucienne Cummings

David’s umbrella turned inside-out. Drops of rain ran down his neck, soaking his coat and shirt. Shivering, he looked down and noticed a fish swimming under the bridge.

‘I wish I was anyone else but me,’ David muttered.

Wriggling on a hook, the fish that had been David rolled its eyes and gasped. As it did so, it saw a duck take off into the newly sunny sky.

I wish I wasn’t a fish, was the fish’s final thought.

Lead shot whistled past the duck’s wing as it careened through the air, quacking and flapping. Below, it saw a man holding an ice cream.

I wish-, thought the bird as the next shot hit its target.

Back on the ground, David checked himself for holes. Relieved, he looked up just as duck droppings landed on his waffle cone.

David sighed and trudged home.

No comments:

Post a Comment