Sunday 19 June 2022

'Pantry Essentials For Any New Home' by Joyce Bingham

Dried porcini mushrooms.

I pass a big punnet of chestnut mushrooms, full of flavour and seek out the tiny packet of dried sliced mushroom, crisp and full of flecks of taste.

Two packs of savoury biscuits BOGOF, a bargain.

A selection of pasta suitable for any sauces be they tomato infused, sticky with cheese or coated in virgin olive oil.

I select a pack of twirly ones, avoiding the expensive green ones made of peas and spinach.

Chocolate, on offer, slip that in the basket.

Spices, best bought in small amounts to enable frequent replacement to ensure maximum flavour is retained.

Pizza seasoning and spices rub for spare ribs, perfect.

Family sized salted peanuts, too tasty to miss.

Herbs, buy in pots for your kitchen windowsill in winter and in your kitchen garden for the summer months

I find a tub of frozen crushed garlic; I don’t have a window in my kitchen.

Three for two, flavoured yoghurt, caramel and chocolate, just what I need.

The weight of the basket hurts my fingers, digging in and creasing skin.

I pack my bag with my new pantry ingredients, I realise I’ve bought nothing for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment