Sunday 27 June 2021

'Go Home' by L Scully

 

The first of the men on my street to scare me was Victor. Victor had a nice house and a nice wife, right next door to me. Victor was handsome and a successful lawyer with a little son whom I watched whenever I had the opportunity. My sisters and I adored Victor’s son. Victor’s wife could have been a model. I spent my summer afternoons in their garden. One day in the fall my father raked leaves in the driveway when Victor came across the asphalt. He was holding something, a magazine. I poked my head out the backdoor to eavesdrop, but Victor knew I was there. Check This Out, Victor said to my father, wide-eyed. Victor’s finger rested on a bikini-clad woman laughing in the surf, advertising a sports swimsuit for women. Can You Believe That? I Mean Wow. Victor smiled a too-big smile. My father stopped raking the leaves. Go Home, he said to Victor, You Have a Beautiful Wife Next Door. 


No comments:

Post a Comment